You have heard of kidney stones but wondering what exactly are tonsil stones? Here is a detailed article on tonsil stones that will have in-depth knowledge of tonsil stones and how to remove these effectively by using simple home remedies. Tonsil stones cause bad breath, inability to swallow food properly and even a sore throat. You may have other excuses to not to believe what exactly is the cause of these, most likely it is tonsil stones that are giving you all the symptoms mentioned above!
Most likely you have not heard about tonsil stones at all or because discussing tonsil stones with acquaintances and friends can be a cause of embarrassment! A majority of the population suffers from tonsil stones and they may not even know until the symptoms get repetitive.
What Are Tonsil Stones?
In short, tonsil stones are clusters of calcified material or sulphur that get accumulated in the back of the throat, in the tonsil area. They affect both the palatine tonsils and the lingual tonsils. When debris gets trapped in the tonsils, they calcify over a long period of time and these results in the creation of tonsil stones. These debris come from various sources such as dead cells, mucus, and unswallod food. Mostly found in children than adults, tonsil stones are not harmful and do not require any medical intervention.
There are quick remedies that anyone can practice at home to get rid of these tonsil stones, some of these remedies are:
- Salt water gargle is a common way to get rid of tonsil stones. Use of saltwater or nonalcoholic mouthwash will prevent tonsil stones.
- Drinking plenty of water and drinking it at regular intervals helps in cleansing of all food particles hence preventing it to be accumulated in the tonsils. This is the simplest form of a remedy for prevention of tonsil stones. Any foreign objects that come in contact with the throat through the lymphatic system it tends to be trapped inside the tonsils.
- Using wet cotton swabs can help in pushing off the tonsil stones. With the help of a flashlight, use the wet cotton swabs and gently rub off the stones from the walls. Then gargle with salt water which will help in removing the debris.
- Consumption of raw garlic and raw onion too can help in soothing the throat and help in removal of the tonsil stones. It also helps in removing harmful bacteria that can cause the creation of tonsil stones.
- Consumption of yogurt (homemade) is also a good remedy for tonsil stones. The probiotic bacteria present in the yogurt helps in removal of harmful bacteria from the tonsils and also prevents its accumulation.
- A good oral hygiene routine can ensure prevention and accumulation of tonsil stones. Brushing and cleaning the tongue twice a day helps in keeping the oral hygiene in check. One should also ensure those toothbrushes are replaced at regular intervals, tongue scrapers should be well maintained too.
Follow these and have a healthy life!